Tuesday, March 13, 2012

“You’re being racist by differentiating cultures and their customs!”


This is a sentence my sister said to me when I told her regarding this blog project and that my topic is –
       Improving Intercultural Proficiency and Communication.

After reading a few posts she asked, “How can you be so racist in your examples and stereotype people of other ethnicities”.

I would like to let all people know, who have read my blog posts, that I have not by any means intended to offend or criticize any one, culture, ethnic background, or individual.  I have merely shared a behaviour pattern or a normal custom that has been noted to be persistent in different cultures.

The point is simply to bring to attention the different behaviours and methods of communication practiced in different cultures, so that those who do not know how communication is practiced in other countries may be able to learn it in order to better communicate with the people from whom they differ.
In fact, I have emphasized throughout my posts the importance of acceptance of people from different backgrounds, and tolerance and patience towards other cultures.  Also that we must overcome stereotyping, prejudicing and ethnocentrism as it will only take us back from understanding each other. 

I believe one can reach farther with unity, and unity can only be reached by understanding and accepting one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment